How to Increase Your Network and Net Worth
When I first started my business, I fumbled around trying to figure out lots of things; how to get clients, where to get clients, how to find others on the same journey ,how to best price my services, and so on.
I realized the best way to learn something new is to find a community that is already on the same path…just ahead of you. I found that community when I joined my local chamber of commerce. My first meeting was a bit intimidating. It was a huge room of people and I wasn’t sure how to talk to someone about my business. Someone from the chamber immediately saw the fear in my eyes (I bet they see it often) and introduced me to a few people. I learned a lot that first night but the one thing that has stuck with me is that these networking events are not about getting new clients but about finding out how you can help others. When you offer help without asking for anything in return, that is when you make strong relationships and become part of the community. I have had the support of so many people from the chamber of commerce over the last 10 years. Through those relationships and mentors, I have created a successful business and become a better me.
The more I got involved with the chamber of commerce, serving on the membership committee, giving webinars, and providing guidance for young female entrepreneurs, the more I became ingrained in this community. My business exploded. It was not because I was the smartest or best accountant there, but because others who met me saw me as a person who serves others.
Joining the chamber of commerce was one of the best decisions I made when starting my business. There are a lot of other benefits too.
- Networking Opportunities: Chambers of commerce provide a platform for business owners to connect with other local businesses, potential customers, and industry professionals. Networking can lead to collaborations, partnerships, and referrals that can boost business growth and make some great friends along the way. Chambers often organize various events such as trade shows, expos, and business fairs. Participating in these events can help you showcase your products or services to a larger audience and potentially gain new customers and colleagues.
- Visibility and Exposure Being a chamber member often comes with opportunities to showcase your business at events, on the chamber’s website, and through various promotional activities. This increased visibility can help you to be seen as an expert in your industry. Chambers may also include your business in their publications, newsletters, and social media platforms, giving you additional avenues to promote your products and services.
- Access to Resources and Education Chambers often provide resources, workshops, seminars, and training sessions that can help business owners improve their skills, stay updated on industry trends, and enhance their business operations.
- Community Involvement: Chambers of commerce play a role in community development and engagement. Being a member allows you to actively contribute to the betterment of your local community, which can improve your business’s image and sense of purpose.
- Business Development and Growth Fellow chamber members are more likely to refer your business to their own clients and customers. Especially, once you develop meaningful relationships with other members. Through workshops, and networking opportunities, you can learn from successful business leaders, gain insights, and apply strategies that can contribute to your business’s growth.
Remember that the benefits can vary depending on the specific chamber and its offerings. It’s important to assess the opportunities and resources provided by your local chamber to determine if joining aligns with your business’s goals and needs.